This popular Maharashtrian dish, Puran Poli is specifically made during the festival season of Ganesh Chaturthi and other festivals like Diwali. Puran poli is basically a flat bread stuffed with a sweet lentil filling made from Chana dal and Sugar. You can use Bengal gram and Jaggery too. In marathi language, the sweet filling is called Puran and the outer bread is called as Poli.
Ingredients of Puran Poli
1 Cup Chana Dal (washed)
3 Cups Water
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Cardamom Powder
For making dough:
2 Cups Maida
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Ghee
1 Cup Water
How to Make Puran Poli
Prepare Dal Mixture:
1. Take Chana dal in a pressure cooker, add water and pressure cook it for about a minute (3-4 whistles).Puran Poli
2. Drain the water and mash it coarsely. Now in a pressure cooker pour the mashed dal and add sugar. Mix it thoroughly and cook slowly.Puran Poli
3. Add Cardamom powder and grated nutmeg to it and mix thoroughly.Puran Poli
4. Continue stirring on low flame until it gets dry.
5. Let the mixture cool down.
Prepare the dough:
1. Take maida in a bowl.Puran Poli
2. Add salt and ghee. Mix well.Puran Poli
3. Add sufficient amount of water and make semi-soft dough.Puran Poli
4. Wrap the bowl with a plastic sheet or damp cloth and leave it for 30 minutes.Puran Poli
Prepare Puran Poli:
1. Make flat balls out of the dough like we make for chapatis.
2. Dust it using maida flour and roll it in round shape with a roller.Puran Poli
3. Fill the puran (stuffing) in it and then cover the edges. Roll it out again in round shape.Puran Poli
4. Heat tawa and cook the puran poli on both sides with lots of ghee.Puran Poli
5. Puran poli is ready to eat. Serve it hot with some more ghee poured over.